HyperLink
     
 

  Shopping
  Dining
  Services
  Attractions
  Orchards
  Alleyways
  Photo Gallery

Bancroft-Stranahan Museum

Bancroft-Stranahan Museum
For more information about the museum or for tours, contact the museum at 586-752-4111.



Circa 1868, 132 Church Street, Late Greek Revival. The Romeo Historical Society Museum

Dr.Randolph S. Bancroft, a Romeo dentist, had this late Greek Revival built after he acquired the property in May 1867. Two years later, in 1870, Bancroft moved to Kansas and sold his home to Andrew J. Stranahan. Stranahan and his family lived there until 1916. Mr. Stranahan was a builder and constructed many homes in the area.

Although the home now houses the collection of the Romeo Historical Society, touches of Andrew Stranahan and his family remain. Some of the Stranahan's original furniture, donated by Great-Granddaughter Bea Stranahan, has been placed in the front room.

Inside the home, a Victorian parlor has been reconstructed. The dining room centers around the portrait and wildlife paintings of Romeo artist William Gibbs. Gibbs was active from the 1850's until shortly after the turn of the century. The kitchen artifacts date from about 1910 and include an icebox, woodburning stove and an early vacuum cleaner.

A gift shop is located at the rear of the museum. the second floor is used for office space and archival storage.

Proceeds from the yearly Home Tour, Home and Heart Craft Show and various fund raisers and private donations help to maintain the museum,the blacksmith shop and to support local preservation and research.

The museum resumes monthly tours the first Saturday of each month, starting in March, from 1-3pm.

 
  ©2018 Romeo Downtown Development Authority
228 N. Main Street, Suite H, Romeo, MI 48065 P:586-752-1170